Profile on Art Boy

Posted by FaeriJane on 10:41 PM


Somebody once said that you know someone is from East London because they are the only people who sit up straight at the lunch table. He said you could spot them from a mile away. Warren Canning, a first year Fine Art student, can be spotted from afar, but not because he has a good posture.

Warren sits opposite me on a warm, wooden table, sipping on a creamed cappuccino at Red Café - place he often comes to contemplate about his latest art project. “There is something about this place that isn’t like anything else in Grahamstown. There’s passion here,” he says as he takes his long hair between both palms and flicks it away from his face, something he does in between every other sip of coffee. Warren is six foot four, wears dark blue skinny jeans, converse all stars that are close to being completely wrecked, and a black cardigan with hand stitched red buttons, each in different colour cotton. People’s eyes follow him surreptitiously as his thin, lanky torso swims into the café. “It’s because my underwear is always sticking out, I’m tall and thin but I know they want me”, he says with a mischievous giggle on his face. His eyes seem to have a life of their own. They are the kind of eyes that you either know exactly what he is thinking about or you have no idea.
Warren came to Rhodes University with plans of doing a Bachelor of Science (Software Development) with hopes becoming something along the lines of Bill Gates meeting Microsoft. Warren had acquired knowledge of computer and programming development at Merrifield, his High School in East London. “I thought that a BSC in Software Development would allow me to express the creativity that I had developed at school. A few days before I was on my way to Rhodes I realized that I had very little understanding of what this course entailed.” This course is much more mathematically creative and allows for very little artistic vision. “Fine Art was for me”, Warren says, his blue eyes dancing as he stirs the last of coffee left in his mug.
Warren seems to have his head screwed on even if it is not with the conventional BCom nuts and bolts which have always seemed to be the best way to success. “I don’t need a degree to get me a job, a life, a wife, two kids and a suburban house. I thrive on using technology for graphic creations; I don’t want to be the one making the computer for people like me.”

When people ask Warren what he is going to be doing with his degree at the end of the day, he remembers the “invaluable” Careers Presentation made by Pete Wetmore during his first week at University. “I have chosen a degree and am developing my career. I have not chosen my career and developing my degree,” says Warren seriously, “I am doing what I love and wouldn’t give it up for anything.” During his free time Warren designs websites for a number of clients. He takes Computer Science as his second subject together with Fine Art. “Art has allowed me to develop myself in the areas that are me – a true development of something I trust will be great and full of both career and personal achievement.” Warrens parents have enduring support for his decision and have allowed him to follow what he believes will allow him to grow.

“Students must pursue what they love most. It is no their duty to fulfill their parents dreams,” says Warren as his broad shoulders slouch over the empty green mug.

2 comments:

Comment by Unknown on October 7, 2008 at 6:10 AM

Comment by: Mcebisi Nkume

The student is from East London in an urban area. The student finishes high school and embarks on a journey for his carrier and everything at this stage is normal (initial equilibrium), when the student reaches his destination he discovers that the course that he has in his mind is not what he think it is( disruption event), he discovers that his heart lies with art and not with mathematics which this course is about( recognition of disruption). He then takes fine art which revives his passion for art ( restoration of equilibrium). He is now doing fine art, and art which is something he has always loved from high school ( restoration of equilibrium). Amid of his destination he encounters people who bring discouragement to his decision, like Pete Wetmore ( villain), whom he meets in the first week of his University life, however he abides by his decision and does what he loves. The narrative stages in this comment are extracted from Todorov’s narrative analysis and character functions from Propp.

Click here for link

 
Comment by Unknown on October 13, 2008 at 6:25 AM

A gorgeous piece! well written and interesting to read. I think it encourages other students to relax and realise that there is more to studying than getting a high-powered career. The focus should be on finding a career that makes you happy, that you enjoy doing! Warren seems to understand this important concept as he sets out on moulding his adult life. I'm sure he will go very far with such wisdom!